Thursday, January 15, 2009

Just Tricking You

I had an interesting conversation with my son (he's almost 8 years old) which started off with him asking why does Cricket Australia advertise with KFC if KFC is a sometimes food, and if all the cricket players ate KFC they would be big and fat.
I was so proud of him as, it lead on to me pointing out that many foods and products are endorsed by characters and famous people. He commented in a rather annoyed tone "But they are trying to trick me into buying stuff"
Finally! My parenting is paying off and he realises why I refuse to buy many of these products.

Then today we had another conversation about slogans and jingles and how companies use them to try and get you to remember their products, and we had a go at making our own.

I'm not anti-advertising or against slogans and the like, by the way. But I'm not a fan of companies using children to manipulate them into pestering parents to buy stuff.

1 down, 3 more kids to go :)

No comments: