Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back to Basics Update

Another slow week. Swimming lessons is now over, so I'm hoping to get a bit more done this week.
In the Garden
The seeds I've sown from my last post have germinated (mostly) and coming along well. The sunflowers will need to be transplanted this week though to a sunny spot. They are in jiffy pots so that should be easy done.
Harvesting: More zucchini, tomatoes and potatoes.

Planning for the Future
We (my husband and I) have been discussing future plans for our house. We live in a 4 x 2 home which, size wise is fine for us at the moment. But it concerns me that when the kids get to their teens they will be living on top of each other, in particular my daughters. They share and their room size is not big enough for single beds (they sleep in bunks). I want all my children to stay at home as long as they need to, and I don't want them to feel they have to move out because they need privacy or space to study etc. I had to move out of my home when I was 16 and support myself and it was so hard sometimes. So we've decided on a long term goal/plan. Our goal is to re-visit this issue in 5 years time. By then we will have no debts (apart from the house) and should have a sizeable savings account. Then we look at renovating and extending upwards. My husband is a roof carpenter, his dad is an electrician and two good friends of ours are plasterers, so the cost of this project could potentially be greatly minimised. And my husband has done many of these sorts of projects so he knows a great deal about doing ourselves.

Working for the Future
My husband has been given a whole heap of pavers, so we can pave a section in our backyard that is to shady for grass and not ideal for garden beds. We have also been cleaning out broken junk that can't be re-purposed, as it is almost bulk rubbish time in my area.

Building Community
Continued to clean out old children's clothes. Borrowed out the crib :( (My baby is growng up so fast). Acquired some more age appropriate toys for my baby in return. Set some dates to babysit so a friend doesn't have to pay for daycare, and so my kids can have a play.

Learn a New Skill
Learnt how to gather properly! I was very pleased with myself!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Interesting post. I have five children so was deep in thought about bedrooms.