Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My chidren are just on a different wavelength



I found this spider and a bloody great big beetle by the laundry door when the kids were at school yesterday. All excited I dug out soe books on insects and spiders, assembled the textas and paper on the table and waited for school to finish. My kids were going to have their first introduction to animal classification. We were going to eagerly id the bug and the spider. Find out what Genus and Species they blong to, hell we were even going to learn a bit about latin. Then after that we were going to draw wonderful drawings of insects and the families they belong to.

But alas, it wasn't to be. My children are so not on my planet, my wavelength.

Imagine this:

Mama: Quick come here. I have something to show you.

(all interested, big to follow mama into the laundry, Mama points to the bloody great big beetle)

Mama: Look!

Miss 4: Arrrggghhh (screams and runs off)

Mr 6: It's a beetle

Mama: Isn't it cool?

Mr 6: Is that it?

Mama: Errrr yeah. (all deflated, not quite the reactions I was hoping for)

Mr 6 : Oh. I though you were going to show us a suprise, like a toy or something.

And that was the end of our fantastic, child centred science lesson. :)

No comments: